The Obama administration is reveiwing how the intelligence appuratus failed to stop al-Qaeda from getting on board a U.S. airliner. As we all know, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to blow up a Detroit-bound aircraft. In the wake of confusion and government officials shaking their heads, Obama’s homeland security team are pieceing together how Abdulmutallab was able to board a U.S. airliner. Obama said:
We know that he traveled to Yemen, a country grappling with crushing poverty and deadly insurgencies. It appears that he joined an affiliate of al-Qaida, and that this group — al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula — trained him, equipped him with those explosives and directed him to attack that plane headed for America.
The parralels of this attack and 9/11 are just too close. According to officials Abdulmutallab’s father warned the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria that he had drifted into al-Qaeda extremism, but security measures failed. In case you need reminding, here are security measures that failed us on 9/11:
- How is it that in 2000 the Air Force intercepted nearly seventy aircraft, but on one day in September of 2001 four planes would be allowed to go off the radar map and no planes would be scrambled to intercept.
- For years government officials were getting word that an attack on U.S. soil was imminent and immediate action was needed.
- In August of 2001 the Bush administration received word that bin Laden planned to attack the U.S. Nothing was followed up on and Bush fought the release of this document.
- Days later Bush administration officials said “we could never imagine someone taking our own planes and flying them into our buildings”. It would later be reported by the mainstream media that the government had thougt of this. In fact, they had practiced wargames simulating the very circumstances that happened on 9/11.
- Why is it that the military under NORAD on 9/11 were under “9/11 style wargames”?
- Why is that out of the dozens of video tape of the Pentagon impact only four have been released, and none of them show an American Airlines 757 impacting?
- Why wasn’t any Boeing 757 jet engines recovered from the wreckage?
- Why did it take nearly two years for the 9/11 Commission to convene to investigate the criminal act when a majority of material evidence had been destroyed?
- Why were Bush and Cheney questioned in secret?
- During the Senate inquiries witnesses were pulled by the Department of Defense or were told what to testify to.
These are just a handful of questions that the average American could ask but will never see any answers to. Because the government can hold materials secret that are of “national security interest” at will, we are kept in the dark.